Let’s take a quick look at the career of designer Christopher Bailey — the man who made Burberry cool again.
- 11 May 1971
- Halifax — Yorkshire, England
- Royal College of Art, London
- Bailey began his career at Donna Karan in 1994, before becoming the senior designer of womenswear at Gucci from 1996 to 2001.
While working in Milan, Bailey met and began dating Geert Cloet, brand designer for Miu Miu. When Cloet was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2004, he and Bailey moved to Yorkshire to be near Bailey’s family. Cloet died in 2005. Bailey has been in a relationship with British actor Simon Woods since 2009 — they married in 2012. The couple have two daughters.
- In 2001 he moved to Burberry — first as design director, and was then promoted to creative director in 2004, before becoming chief creative officer in 2009.
- When then-CEO Angela Ahrendts left in 2014, Bailey was appointed as chief creative and chief executive officer.
- Under Bailey’s creative and business leadership, the once tired brand has been transformed — reclaiming its position as a British fashion icon.
- In July 2016, it was announced that Marco Gobbetti would be the next CEO of Burberry. Gobbetti took over from Bailey in November 2017, who took on the the role of president of the company and also retaining the title of chief creative officer. Bailey resigned from the board of Burberry in March 2018, and will entirely depart from Burberry in December 2018.
The future for Christopher Bailey
- Bailey hasn’t made any public announcements as to what his next steps will be after he leaves Burberry. We reached out to Bailey for comment, but he didn’t respond.