Is it legal to be gay?
- Same-sex sexual activity has been legal since 1934.
- There is an equal age of consent for both gay and straight sex.
Is there anti-discrimination legislation in place?
- Comprehensive anti-discrimination legislation was introduced across Uruguay in 2004.
Is there marriage equality?
- Civil unions between same-sex couples have been recognised since 2008, and there has been marriage equality since 2013.
What’s it like for LGBTI who live there?
- Uruguay is one of the most progressive countries in South America.
- There is a small gay scene in Montevideo.
What’s it like for LGBTI who visit?
- Generally seen as a destination that welcomes LGBTI visitors.
- Setting the standard for LGBTI equality in South America.
How you can help
- Find ways to share the stories and experiences of LGBTI people in Uruguay.
- Use your networks to raise awareness of Uruguay as a destination that welcomes LGBTI people.
- Time your visit with LGBTI Pride celebrations in Montevideo — in 2016 these were held in September.
Subscribe to G-TV
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox