Here’s five easy steps you can take to improve your diet, feel healthier, get better results in the gym, perform better in the pool and improve your effectiveness at work:
- Eat breakfast. Try and make it a balanced meal of protein, fruit and nuts. If you’re in a rush and don’t have time to prepare anything, grab a handful of blueberries and a handful of almonds as you rush out the door. If you’ve no food in the house, drink some water and stop in at your nearest cafe on the way to work — go for something like scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, or an omelette that will set you up for the day.
- Drink 3 litres of water per day. It sounds like a lot but you’ve got to do it. Sure you’ll spend a lot of time going to the bathroom, but it’s a good chance to stretch your legs away from the desk.
- Get more sleep — at least 8 hours every night. This is really key and will benefit every aspect of your life. There’s no need to be too much of a princess about it, a bit of noise and ambient light are unavoidable when living in London — it’s really quantity over quality when it comes to sleep.
- Don’t exercise too much — build rest days into your routine. If you’re spending hours every day in the gym or the pool then you’re probably over-doing it. Your body needs solid period of rests to recover and repair.
- At least once a day go for a walk outside, get some fresh air and refocus on the things that are important to you. If you get too caught up in the day to day frenzy of what’s happening at work, you can lose sight of the bigger picture stuff that will really make a difference. Make the time to step back, collect your thoughts, re-energise and then dive back in there to tackle the stuff that matters.